Investment products are becoming increasingly complicated. Trustees and sponsors face a growing number of considerations when setting investment strategies, and it can be a confusing course to navigate.
A successful investment strategy requires ensuring a sound legal basis for the investment or third party appointment. It is equally important that the scheme’s legal rights are understood and, where necessary, contracts are effectively negotiated. Arc Pensions Law can help trustees understand the legal structure and associated risks of their scheme investments, working constructively with advisers to provide clear advice that avoids duplication. We also have experience in acting for sponsors and asset managers, helping to disentangle legal complexities in accordance with their own priorities. Our expert team can help with:
- Trustee investment powers and duties
- Drafting and amending statements of investment principles (SIPS)
- Governance of investment sub-committees
- Terms of pooled investment funds and unit linked policies
- Agreements for investment managers, fiduciary managers and custodians
- Arrangements for stock lending and repos
- ESG and ethical considerations
- Asset security assessments, and
- Preparing for and executing buy-ins.
We also help DC schemes address the specific challenges that arise from statutory and regulatory intervention. Our experience in this area includes:
- default charge cap restrictions
- setting default strategies
- changing member fund options, and
- appointing a new (or first time) platform provider.